Head of Department
Ven.Canon Stephen Kaziro
Church of Uganda Head Teachers Institutional Association
On top of the primary and secondary church founded schools, Mityana Diocese has two tertiary institutions namely:
1. Bishop Lutaaya Theological and Vocational Centre which trains Lay Readers, Pastors and other disciplines like Nursery Teachers.
2. Namutamba PTC purely run by the Diocese trains Grade III Teachers and Nursery Teachers. Pre-service and in-service Programs are now at a total enrolment of 450 student teachers this year (2013).
These schools and colleges are governed bY the School Management Committee with 12 members for Primary and Board of Governors for Post-Primary and Tertiary Institutions. They supervise, plan and monitor these institutions. This is done on behalf of the two partners; the Church as founders and Government who support through aid.
We have a committee known as COUHTIA (Church of Uganda Head Teachers Institutional Association). This Committee of Senior committed and devoted Head Teachers works together to ensure service delivery in our schools. They assist the teachers in the schools to perform to the best of their expectations. This committee works hand in hand with the Education Department. The Committee is also tasked with the responsibility of finding committed, devoted teachers to be recommended for promotion to leadership offices. E.g. Head Teacher or Deputy Head Teacher
We started Early Child Development (ECD) centers with the purpose of having firm foundation of academic excellence. We believe if children of 3 to 5 years are well handled, they are likely to perform better in Primary Education and beyond.
Future plans for the Education Ministry of Mityana Diocese:
1. Lobby with the Ministry of Education and Sports to give us aid in some of our secondary schools.
2. Have workshops to induct the Board of Governors working in our secondary schools.
3. Lobby and search for funds to build more primary schools on addition to Lusaba, Kirawula and Zzira that are purely private schools and run by the church
4. Continue to preach the gospel to our children in order to strengthen their spiritual lives and faith, culture as well as discipline
5. To start up technical and vocational schools in the diocese